Expression of Interest - Transitional Housing for Addictions Recovery Units

Frequently Asked Questions

What is transitional housing?

Transitional housing refers to a temporary and supportive accommodation that is meant to bridge the gap from unstable housing situations to permanent housing by offering structure, support services (i.e. addictions and mental health), life skills, education, and training.

What is addictions recovery?

Addictions recovery can include a combination of supports such as facility-based treatment programming, On-the-land programming, individual and/or group counselling, peer support, eMental health options like the WAGON app, and more. It also includes more informal supports like the care of family and friends, eating well, exercising, spending time in nature, and more.

What is aftercare?

Aftercare refers to care, services, or support that is provided to meet the ongoing needs of individuals after they have participated in an addictions treatment program or support service. Examples of aftercare could include follow-up with a counsellor, access to a recovery APP like WAGON or other virtual programs, engagement with a peer supporter or peer support group.

What is this Expression of Interest for?

The Expression of Interest for Transitional Housing for Addiction Recovery is to identify NWT communities/organizations that are interested in establishing Territorial Transitional Housing for Addiction Recovery programming that can serve NWT residents. The GNWT will work with selected communities to develop specific program models and establish the infrastructure required to provide temporary supportive accommodation and aftercare programming that allows individuals to transition into fully independent living when they return from an addiction’s treatment centre (e.g., programming that builds on skills and habits learned while in treatment and strengthens healthy social relationships).

Why are we doing this?

Transitional housing specific for addiction recovery is not currently offered in the NWT. We know this represents a gap in available aftercare services in the Territory. The GNWT is taking a community-based approach via an EOI process to close this gap and develop programming that is designed to best support northern residents.

Who is eligible to apply?

  • Indigenous governments in the Northwest Territories
  • Community governing authorities (Band Council, Metis Local, Charter Community or municipal council)
  • Non-government Indigenous Community Organizations
  • Non-government organizations

How do I apply?

To apply, please follow the link to the Expression of Interest Transitional Housing Application Form.

How will I know if my application has been accepted?

All applications received by 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST) on December 17, 2021, will be reviewed. Applications will be assessed based on how well they meet the EOI assessment criteria and the overall desired outcomes of a Transitional sober/recovery housing program in the NWT (e.g. providing supportive aftercare services to NWT residents returning from addiction treatment). During the review process, an interdepartmental review committee may engage and assist applicants to provide further detail, including but not limited to planned program service delivery models, organizational capacity and partnerships, and implementation plans.

What happens if my proposal is accepted?

If your proposal is accepted, you will be contacted via e-mail and begin engagement with representatives from the GNWT to begin next steps e.g., start work on designing your Transitional Housing for Addiction Recovery service delivery model.

The GNWT is committed to working with selected communities to determine a service delivery model that best fits the needs of their residents, with a goal to enhance community-based aftercare, reduce the number of returns to treatment, and increase the length of time between treatments.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

For assistance or questions regarding this EOI, please email with the subject title Expression of Interest: Northwest Territories Transitional Housing for Addictions Recovery Units.