Register as a Midwife
What you need to provide
- Completed Application for Midwife Registration with a recent passport type photo of you attached.
- Complete top portion of the Verification of Registration form and send to every licensing authority (including out-of-country) where you are now or have been registered as a midwife. Make additional copies if required.
Note: It is the responsibility of every NWT registered midwife to advise the Registrar’s Office of any change in registration or licence status in other provinces or territories.
Note: Applicants who do not hold unrestricted, active registration in a province, must provide proof of eligibility to be registered in a province by submitting the Verification of Eligibility to be registered.
- Photocopy of degree, certificates and/or diplomas relating to your education as a midwife.
- Up to date resume outlining work experience. Must include all employment history relevant to the practice of midwifery and any other health or professional employment of practice.
- Three character reference letters. At least one must be from someone who has known you in a professional capacity.
Note: Referee must directly mail the reference letter to the NWT Professional Licensing Registrar.
- Photocopy of birth certificate or citizenship documentation (if Canadian citizen), or valid immigration or work permit (if not a Canadian citizen).
- Name of employer, location and place of practice and specification of whether or not self-employed.
Note: While not required prior to registration, you must send this to NWT Professional Licensing Registrar within two weeks of obtaining employment or beginning practice.
- Proof of current professional liability insurance coverage or employer coverage to a minimum of $10 Million Dollars.
Note: You must send this to NWT Professional Licensing Registrar prior to start of employment or practice.
- Credit card authorization or cheque or money order made payable to Government of Northwest Territories.
Failure to ensure all documents are forwarded to the Registrar’s Office as stated above will delay and possibly prevent licensing.
|Reinstatement (late renewal)||$161|
Note: All licenses expire December 31st following date of issue, renewable upon payment of annual fee.
Contact this Service
Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Sending the Completed Form…
Office of the Registrar, Professional Licensing
Government of the Northwest Territories
Department of Health and Social Services
7th Floor, 5015 – 49 ST
Box 1320 Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Fax to: 1-867-873-0484
Email to: Professional_Licensing@gov.nt.ca