Are you a youth/adult living with a disability, or a caregiver of a youth/ adult living with a disability? Do you want to ensure your experience benefits others?
The Department of Health and Social Services invites interested members of the public to apply to be a representative on the NWT Supported Living Review Advisory Group (SL Advisory Group). The purpose of this group is to provide advice from lived experience to the Steering Committee during the NWT Supported Living Review. The SL Advisory Group will be comprised of 6 to 10 members who are appointed by the Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services. Membership will aim to have representation from persons with diverse experiences and perspectives across the NWT. Members will be appointed for the duration of the Supported Living Review Project, which is anticipated to begin in Spring 2021 and to conclude in March 2022. Frequency of meetings will be dependent on need for feedback to support this review. It is estimated that 5- 8 meetings will take place.
An objective of the Government of the Northwest Territories Disability Action Plan, 2018/19-2021/22 is to encourage universal design and living options, and as part of this work, the Department of Health and Social Services has committed to conducting a comprehensive territorial review of supported living services for persons with disabilities. Throughout this review, it is of high importance to engage with individuals and families to provide meaningful and effective input regarding supported living services to NWT residents. While this group will not replace all other public engagement activities, it is a way for the voices of NWT residents to provide their knowledge and advice during the Supported Living Review. This group will provide feedback, that is non-binding, to the Steering Committee for consideration among other information, data and engagement responses, to guide the direction of the Review.
Areas where feedback from this committee will be asked include:
- How best to communicate with people, organizations and communities who are impacted by disabilities;
- Provide feedback towards the initial engagement for this review;
- Assist in planning a wider second engagement strategy that will collect more information, experiences and perspectives of NWT residents impacted by disability;
- Answering important questions as they arise to ensure that this review is informed by the voices of NWT residents who have disabilities or care for persons with disabilities;
- Provide feedback related to the results of this review and the recommendations that this review offers.
Advisory Group members of the SL Advisory Group will receive an honorarium in accordance with the rates set out in the GNWT Financial Administration Manual for an Advisory Board. Members will only be paid for days they meet.
- Youth/ adult with experience living with a disability OR a caregiver supporting a youth/adult with a disability who is utilizing supported living services or would benefit from supported living services in the future;
- Interest in providing feedback and information that will inform the Supported Living Review;
- Willingness to work as part of a team;
- Knowledge of their home communities and supported living services and supports within their community;
- Willingness and flexibility to meet with SL Advisory Group or project team via telephone, webinar, or other method as needed.
- Resident of the NWT for at least 12 months;
- Prepared to sign a statement of ethics and confidentiality related to their duties.
- Persons who are employed service providers for persons with disabilities are not our target audience for this group but rather youth/adults with disabilities and families/ friends who are caregivers of youth/adults with disabilities.
- The intent is to have different perspectives of persons with disabilities and caregivers of persons with disabilities on this SL Advisory Group so we ask that either the caregiver or the person with disability submits an application to represent their experience rather than both individuals.
How do I apply?
Please complete the following Application Form and email it to SL_Advisory_Group@gov.nt.ca:
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Manager, Services for Persons with Disabilities, Department of Health and Social Services at (867) 767-9030 ext. 49317.
The deadline for applications is June 16, 2021.