Psychologist Licence

Apply for a Provisional Psychologist Licence

What you need to provide

  • Completed Application for Registration as a Provisional Psychologist with a recent passport type photo of you attached.
  • A copy of all degrees and diplomas, undergraduate and graduate, including but not limited to Master’s Degree in Psychology.

Note: If you do not hold current, unrestricted registration in a Canadian province, certified a certified copy of all degrees and diplomas is required. Certified copies are those that have been sworn to be actual copies of the originals by a Commissioner of Oaths.

  • Transcripts of all degrees – All applicants who do not hold current, unrestricted registration in a Canadian province must have transcripts sent directly to the Registrar from the University.
  • Approval of Academic Credentials Letter

Note: All applicants who do not hold current, unrestricted registration in a Canadian province must have their academics evaluated by the College of Alberta Psychologists and submit a letter from the College of Alberta Psychologists stating their academics have been reviewed and approved for registration.

  • Two References, on the prescribed form, from registered psychologists – submitted directly from the reference to the Registrar.

Note: Referee must directly mail the reference letter to the NWT Professional Licensing Registrar.

  • Letter(s) of Standing from each jurisdiction where you have been licensed.
  • Up to date resume outlining work experience.
  • Criminal Records Check, including Vulnerable Sector Search – dated within last six months.
  • Photocopy of birth certificate or citizenship documentation (if Canadian citizen), or valid immigration or work permit (if not a Canadian citizen).
  • Supervision Plan – Provisional psychologists must arrange for a supervisor that is a registered psychologist in the NWT and regularly practices in the NWT.

Note: The Supervision Plan must be completed in accordance with the NWT Standards for Supervision of Provisional Psychologists and signed by the applicant and their supervisor and submitted to the Registrar directly from the supervisor.

  • Proof of professional liability insurance or employer coverage in the amount of no less than $5 million.

Note: Must be provided before commencing practice.

  • Credit card authorization or cheque or money order made payable to Government of Northwest Territories.

Failure to ensure all documents are forwarded to the Registrar’s Office as stated above will delay and possibly prevent licensing.





Annual Licence


Courtesy (Temporary) Licence


Note: All licences expire March 31st following date of issue, renewable upon payment of annual fee.

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-867-767-9067

Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Office of the Registrar, Professional Licensing
Government of the Northwest Territories
Department of Health and Social Services
7th Floor, 5015 – 49 ST
Box 1320 Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Fax to: 1-867-873-0484
Email to:

Related Services / Information