Apply for a Social Work Licence
What you need to provide
- Completed Application for Social Work Licence with a recent passport type photo of you attached.
- Certified true copy of Social Work degree and diploma.
Note: Foreign graduates must provide a certified true copy (by a Notary Public) of the degree/diploma as well as a certified true copy of the letter from the Canadian Association of Social Workers confirming Canadian Standard equivalencies were met.
- Registered Social Worker:
- A degree is required which must be from an institution indicating the program has been accredited by the Canadian Association Social Work Education.
- Licensed Social Worker category:
- Diplomas must be on the approved list by the Minister of Health and Social Services. The list consists of schools approved in Alberta and Ontario as well as the Aurora College diploma program and the First Nation Certificate in Social Work and Indian Social Work from the Faculty of Social Work, First Nations University of Canada in Saskatchewan.
- If previously licensed, a Certificate or Letter of Standing is required from each jurisdiction where you have been licensed.
Note: Licensing jurisdiction must mail Certificate or Letter of Standing directly to the NWT Professional Licensing Registrar.
- Up to date resume outlining work experience.
- A complete RCMP Criminal Records Check (CRC) along with a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) is required. You must request both from the RCMP using the Letter of Authorization Form found in the application package.
Please ensure to type your name and the date on the letter before printing and submitting to the RCMP.
- Three references are required from individuals who can speak of the applicant’s professional work and character. Reference form can be found in the application package.
Note: Referees must directly mail the reference form to the NWT Professional Licensing Registrar.
- Photocopy of birth certificate or citizenship documentation (if Canadian citizen), or valid immigration or work permit (if not a Canadian citizen).
- Credit card authorization or cheque or money order made payable to Government of Northwest Territories.
Failure to ensure all documents are forwarded to the Registrar’s Office as stated above will delay and possibly prevent licensing.
|Registered Social Worker Registration (RSW)||$161|
|Licensed Social Worker Registration (LSW)||$161|
Note: All licences expire December 31st following date of issue, renewable upon payment of annual fee.
Contact this Service
Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Sending the Completed Form…
Registrar, Professional Licensing
Government of the Northwest Territories
Department of Health and Social Services
7th Floor, 5015 – 49 ST
Box 1320 Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Fax to: 1-867-873-0484
Email to: Professional_Licensing@gov.nt.ca