The Together We Can Stop Elder Abuse campaign aims to raise awareness about the issue of elder abuse in the Northwest Territories (NWT), particularly financial abuse. Financial abuse is believed to be the most prevalent form of elder abuse in Canada, and in the NWT. However, financial abuse is often not recognized as elder abuse. Raising awareness and understanding about the financial abuse of seniors and elders is a first step toward addressing the issue. With awareness and understanding, people in the NWT can consider how they can, on a personal, professional, and community level, prevent elder abuse. It is particularly important to work with seniors and elders to identify solutions that work for them individually, and as a group.
If you would like to obtain materials from the Together We Can Stop Elder Abuse Campaign, please contact Communications at the Department of Health and Social Services at 867-920-8927 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about elder abuse:
- NWT Seniors Society: 1-800-661-0878 or 920-7444 in Yellowknife
- If you are experiencing elder abuse, call the Family Violence Crisis Line: 1-866-223-7775 or 873-8257 in Yellowknife.
- Canadian Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- National Initiative for the Care of the Elderly.
- National Clearinghouse on Family Violence (Public Health Agency of Canada)
- Seniors Canada
Front-line Service Providers:
- Supporting Northern Women – A Northwest Territories Family Violence Shelter Worker Training Program, Module 8.2: The Older Person and Family Violence. Department of Health and Social Services. 2010.