Family Violence

Getting Help with Family Violence

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call your local RCMP. Dial 9-1-1. The RCMP are trained to help you in these types of situations.

Victim Services

The Community Justice and Community Policing Division at the Department of Justice offers services dealing with the emotional and physical consequences of crime, and the associated justice processes. If you need help, please contact their local victim services worker to learn about their services.

Alison McAteer House

If you or members of your family are experiencing family violence you can talk privately by calling Alison McAteer House: at 1-866-223-7775. The call is free and they can help you apply for an Emergency Protection Order.

Family Violence Shelters

Shelters are territorial resources. You can access a shelter even if there is not one in your community. You can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for safety planning, crisis management, emotional support, information and referrals:

Health Care Provider

Your nurse or doctor can provide you with advice or refer you to someone who can help you, such as a social worker or counsellor.

Friends, Family or Religious Organizations

Talk to someone you trust. Tell them about the abuse. They can only help you if they know what is happening to you.

Kid’s Help Phone

If you are a young person, and you need someone to talk to, you can call the Kid’s Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 or go to

NWT Community Counselling Program

The NWT Community Counselling Program helps people deal with a variety of issues including family violence, mental health issues and addictions. It is available free-of-charge to every NWT resident, in every region of the NWT. The Community Counselling Program is offered by local Health and Social Services Authorities.

NWT Help Line

The NWT Help Line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is 100% confidential and anonymous. Call 1-800-661-0844.