Home and Community Care
Home and Community Care Services (Home Care) provide individuals with nursing care and support for personal care and daily living activities when they are no longer able to perform these activities on their own. These services help people to stay in their own homes rather than go to a hospital or long term care facility when they need nursing care or help with daily living activities because of age, disability, injury, or illness. You can receive Home Care services if you have a valid NWT Health Care Card, and have been assessed and found to have needs best met by Home Care.
Home care includes services such as:
• Home support for bathing and making meals;
• Nursing services for wound care and health checks;
• Help with organizing and taking medications;
• Palliative care for those who are dying and want to be at home;
• Loan of equipment, such as bathroom equipment or a walker; and
• Respite care to help out in the home, so caregivers can get a break.
If you or a loved one needs any of these services, please contact your local Health and Social Services Authority Home Care Program or Community Health Centre.