Jump to navigation
Que voulez-vous faire?
About Professional Corporations
- The Professional Corporations Act allows health professions to incorporate under certain conditions:
- the profession must first be designated by regulation;
- the corporation must be incorporated or registered as an Extra-Territorial Corporation under the Business Corporations Act (contact Corporate Registries, Department of Justice at 867-920-8985);
- specific rules apply to names of corporations (see Names of Corporations);
- application is made to the Registrar, Professional Licensing to be issued a permit to practice as a corporation.
- Professional incorporation is an option for self-employed professionals. Individuals are advised to seek advice from their legal and financial advisors as to whether professional incorporation would be beneficial to them.
Names of Corporations
- Section 4 of the Governing Body Rules for Health Professions state that the name of the corporation incorporated in the NWT must:
- include the words “professional corporation” or one of the following terms or abbreviations: Société professionnelle; Prof. Corp.; P.C.; soc. Prof.; or s.p.;
- describe the services that a member can perform, i.e., medical, dental, etc.;
- include the member’s last name, where a single member wishes to incorporate; and
- not be a numbered company.
- For specific questions on names contact: email@example.com.
- The following professions are currently designated:
Governing Body Rules for Health Professions