Fri, 08/12/2016 - 13:48
What We Do
The Department of Health and Social Services promotes, protects and provides for the health and well being of the people of the Northwest Territories. This includes:
- helping people take personal responsibility for healthy lifestyle decisions;
- protecting people from abuse, violence, preventable disease and unsafe environmental conditions;
- caring for and/or counselling people when they require support for social or health issues; and
- treating people when they are sick or suffering from physical, emotional or mental problems.
- Focus on the patient/client
- Support individuals and families to stay healthy
- Ensure regions have a voice at the territorial level
- Ensure access to care and services
- Emphasize quality care
- Respect diversity of all cultures.
- Supporting quality early childhood development in collaboration with existing organizations;
- Focusing on mental health and addictions by ensuring that services are delivered locally with culturally-appropriate methods;
- Taking action so that seniors can age in place;
- Fostering healthy families by focusing on wellness, prevention, and improved nutrition;
- Taking action on the crisis of family and community violence;
- Creating opportunities for healthy lifestyles and community leadership for our youth.