This program offers funding to eligible Indigenous governments and organizations to deliver on the land healing programs.
The programs must focus on culturally relevant, community based options for individuals living with mental health and addictions.
Funding is available through two streams:
- On the Land Healing Basic Funding
- $125,000.00 maximum to Regional and/or Community Indigenous Governments
- $30,000.00 maximum to Community Governing Authorities
- $30,000.00 maximum to non-government Indigenous organizations
- Land Based Mobile Addictions Treatment, Family Based Treatment and Aftercare Funding
- $66,350.00 maximum to Regional and/or Community Indigenous Governments available for multi-year projects
- $66,350.00 maximum to Community Governing Authorities, available for multi-year projects
- $66,350.00 maximum to non-government Indigenous organizations, available for multi-year projects
Funding for multi-year projects will be considered.
Funding applications from Regional and Community Governments are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis between April 1 and September 1.
After September 1, Community Governing Authorities and non-government Indigenous organizations can apply for any unused funds.
The following are encouraged to apply:
- Regional and/or community Indigenous governments in the Northwest Territories that been negotiated or are in the process of negotiating self-government agreements.
- Community Governing Authorities (Band Council, Metis Local, Charter Community or Municipal Council).
- Non-Government Indigenous organizations that demonstrate Indigenous outreach and have formed partnerships or receive support from an Indigenous or community governing authority.
Applicants may apply to both funding streams:
On the Land Healing Basic Funding
Must take place on the land in a wilderness setting, have clearly defined wellness goals and have a focus on at least one of the following criteria:
- Programs that blend traditional activities, outdoor recreation and spiritual or cultural healing with content related to mental health and addictions.
- Programs that blend traditional activities, outdoor recreation and spiritual or cultural healing with content pertaining to the root causes of problematic substance use (i.e., grief and loss, trauma).
Land Based Mobile Addictions Treatment, Family Based Treatment and Aftercare Funding
Must take place on the land in a wilderness setting with content focused on substance use/abuse and at least one of the following criteria:
- Programs that deliver addictions treatment in a land-based setting.
- Programs that deliver family-based addictions treatment and/or programming to family members of individuals impacted by addictions in a land-based setting.
- Programs that provide aftercare supports to people who have completed addictions treatment and their families in a land-based setting.
How to apply
- Complete an application form.
- Send the completed application form to email@example.com.
- Mental Wellness and Addictions Recovery Funds
For tools to help you develop and conduct an evaluation of an on the land program please visit:
Manager, Strategic Programs
Mental Wellness and Addictions Recovery
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
P.O. Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Phone: (867)767-9061 ext. 49184