Using Common-Law Spouse's Surname

If you want to use your spouse's last name (married or common-law)

After you are married, or have signed and filed the Use of Common-Law Spouse’s Last Name Statutory Declaration form, you do not need to apply for a legal name change. You can use your spouse's last name and change all your documents to your chosen last name, using your marriage certificate or common law statutory declaration as proof.  If you want to change other documents such as,

  • S.I.N. Card
  • Driver's Licence
  • Bank Accounts
  • Health Care Card, etc.,

contact the appropriate agency.  Ask each agency what they require to make the necessary change to their records.