Marriage Information

Get a Marriage License

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to get a marriage license before I get married?

Most people in the the NWT will need to apply for a marriage license. You can have a registration form completed by a Marriage License Issuer.

What are the steps involved in getting married in the NWT?

Application for a marriage licence must be made in person to a marriage licence issuer by one of the parties to the marriage. Marriage licence issuers are located throughout the territory. Call the Health Services Administration Office toll-free at 1-800-661-0830, for information regarding issuers in your area.

Before you apply, you should be aware of the following:

  • The fee for a marriage licence is $65.00.
  • The marriage licence is valid only in the Northwest Territories for 3 months from the date of issue, but can be extended in special circumstances.
  • You should apply at least one day prior to the marriage.
  • In the event that either of the parties to the intended marriage cannot speak English, they must arrange for an independent interpreter to be present during the purchase of the marriage licence.
  • Both parties must be 19 years of age or over. Otherwise, special consents may be required.
  • Proof of age may be required.

Religious ceremonies may be performed by the registered religious representative of your choice.

Civil ceremonies may be performed by marriage commissioners located throughout the Territory.

What documentation do I need to provide when I apply for a marriage license?

Both people planning on getting married must attend the appointment with the Marriage License Issuer. You will need to provide the following documents or information:

  • birth certificate;
  • social insurance number;
  • full names for both sets of parents (including mothers' maiden names);
  • place of birth for both sets of parents;
  • immigration documents (if applicable);
  • divorce certificate(s) or decree(s) (a decree absolute or certificate is required if either person has been divorced, no other divorce documents are acceptable); and
  • death certificate(s) (if either person has been widowed)