Persons with Disabilities Accessibility and Inclusion Awards Ceremony
The Persons with Disabilities Accessibility and Inclusion Awards Ceremony (PWD AIAC) is hosted annually by the Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities in late May or early June to coincide with the National AccessAbility Week held by the Federal Government.
The PWD AIAC is organized by the Department of Health and Social Services in partnership with the Northwest Territories Disability Council (NWTDC).
The PWD AIAC provides an opportunity to recognize the accomplishments of outstanding volunteers, community members and businesses who devote their time to enhance the quality of life of persons with disabilities by making the NWT more inclusive and accessible.
The recipients are selected through a territory-wide nomination process. Nomination information is listed below by each award category.
The deadline for nomination is: April 30, 2021
Due to COVID-19 and current public health measures, the event will consist of a pre-recorded, video production with interviews from the nominators and award winners, along with speaking segments from the NWT Disabilities Council, the Human Rights Commission, and Julie Green, Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities.
Three awards are presented at the event:
- The Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities Award for Accessibility and Inclusion:
- This award is given to an individual in recognition of their contribution to making the Northwest Territories a more accessible and inclusive Territory.
- Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities’ Award for Accessibility and Inclusion Nomination Form
- The NWT Disabilities Council Community Champion Award:
- This award is presented by the NWT Disabilities Council to a person or group that has made a significant on-going contribution, as a volunteer, to improving life for persons living with disabilities in the North.
- Nomination forms can be found from the NWTDC website: www.nwtdc.net or you can contact NWTDC at (867) 873-8230 or toll free at 1-800-491-8885.
- The Human Rights Commission Accessibility Award:
- This award is presented by the Human Rights Commission to a business in recognition of new or existing physical and/or non-physical accommodations that increase accessibility to services for the public.
- Nomination forms can be found at www.nwthumanrights.ca