COVID-19 test validated by two devices at Stanton Territorial Lab. Mine completing second round of tests out of abundance of caution. Public health monitoring.
YELLOWKNIFE 21 October 2020 – The Chief Public Health Officer has confirmed that the presumptive positive test at Gahcho Kue Diamond Mine has been tested twice. Public health officials received the negative result of the second test from Stanton Territorial Laboratory late this afternoon.
The presumptive positive test was identified on the morning of October 21 and public health immediately began an investigation. All potential contacts were tested and results were negative.
Additional round of testing
Out of an abundance of caution, Gahcho Kue Mine is completing an additional round of testing on the group who arrived together.
The results are expected tomorrow. Public health officials will be in regular contact to follow-up.
For the time-being, those who were identified as contacts onsite will remain isolated onsite.
Monitoring will continue
Public health will continue to work with Gahcho Kue Diamond Mine to monitor and provide the appropriate advice.
We all have control
No matter the situation in the community, you are empowered to practice routine public health precautions which will work to keep you and others safer.
- Prioritize physical distance of at least six feet, or two metres
- Wear a non-medical mask when keeping distance is difficult
- Keep crowds small and spaces large to reduce the risk of transmission
- Frequently washing your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer
- Please maintain self-isolation if you are required to.
- Stay home if you’re feeling sick – even if your symptoms are mild
- If you develop any symptoms, contact your local healthcare centre to be assessed for COVID-19.