Medical Licence

Applying for the First Time for a Medical Licence in the NWT

What you need to do

After submitting to, you need to provide to the Registrar, Professional Licensing:

Note: The Registrar cannot provide anyone with copies. If applying for hospital/health board privileges, have separate references sent directly to them.

  • For Family Physicians:
    • Photocopy of College of Family Physicians of Canada certificate or proof of completion of two years post-graduate internship training in Family Medicine, with rotations in medicine, surgery, paediatrics, obstetrics, gynaecology and psychiatry.

Note: Physicians fully licensed in Canada before November 1999 with one year of post-graduate training will be considered as having completed the two year residency requirement as outlined above. Family physicians must provide proof of being licensed or being eligible to be licensed in a province – this is normally provided on the provincial Certificate of Standing.

  • For specialists:
    • Photocopy of certification by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec. Specialists must provide proof of being licensed or eligible to be licensed in their specialty in a province. Proof of this is to be provided on the provincial Certificate of Standing.
  • Up-to-date and detailed curriculum vitae/resume.
  • Certificates of Professional Conduct from every licensing jurisdiction (in and outside of Canada) where you have held licensure in the last 15 years.

Note: Certificates of Professional Conduct must come directly from the licensing body to the Office of the Registrar.

  • Provide proof of authorization to work in Canada.  A photocopy of proof of citizenship i.e. Canadian birth certificate, passport, or valid immigration document. If this is already uploaded in your account with the Medical Counsel of Canada please enable sharing with the Government of NWT.
  • Provide a current passport sized photo (if not provided with your application documents)
  • Provide a certified true copy (by a Notary Public) of your medical degree if your degree is not already verified by the Medical Council of Canada and shared with the Government of NWT on





Annual License Renewal (April 1 to March 31)


Annual License Renewal (After Dec. 31 & before Mar. 31)


Limited Practice Permit (3-month)


Research Permit


Specialist Practice Permit (3 months to 12 months)


Specialist Practice Permit (3 months or less)


Registration and annual licence: $323.00 ($108 initial registration fee plus $215 due annually) - licence expires March 31st following date of issue, renewable upon payment of fee

Registration and limited permit: $162.00 ($108 initial registration fee plus $54.00 for each subsequent permit) valid for 3 months from the date of issue (not renewable, may be applied for twice in a fiscal year)

Research permit: valid for 12 months maximum - $108.00 (licence can be renewed upon application)

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-867-767-9067

Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Registrar, Professional Licensing
Government of the Northwest Territories
Department of Health and Social Services
7th Floor, 5015 – 49 ST
Box 1320 Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Fax to: 1-867-873-0484
Email to:

Related Services / Information