Protecting Elders from Abuse and Neglect

Getting Help for Elder Abuse

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call your local RCMP. Dial 9-1-1. The RCMP are trained to help you in these types of situations.

Victim Services

The Community Justice and Community Policing Division at the Department of Justice offers services dealing with the emotional and physical consequences of crime and the associated justice processes. If you need help, please contact their local victim services worker to learn about their services.

Alison McAteer House

If you are experiencing abuse you can talk privately by calling Alison McAteer House: at 1-866-223-7775. The call is free and they can help you apply for an Emergency Protection Order.

Health Care Provider

Your nurse or doctor can provide you with advice or refer you to someone who can help you, such as a social worker or counsellor.

Friends, Family or Religious Organizations

Talk to someone you trust. Tell them about the abuse. They can only help you if they know what is happening to you.

NWT Community Counselling Program

The NWT Community Counselling Program helps people deal with a variety of issues including family violence, mental health issues, and addictions. It is available free-of-charge to every NWT resident, in every region of the NWT. The Community Counselling Program is offered by local Health and Social Services Authorities.

NWT Help Line

The NWT Help Line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is 100% confidential and anonymous. Call 1-800-661-0844.

Seniors’ Information Line

If you need to speak to someone about a problem, or if you need help with any program or service related to seniors, you can call their toll-free number 1-800-661-0878.

Sutherland House

Sutherland House has a crisis line that you can call from anywhere in the NWT if you need help with safety planning or are having problems. Call 1-877-872-5925.