Changing a Name (Adult)


You can apply for a legal change of name if you are:

  • at least 19 years old;
  • a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or otherwise legally entitled to remain or live in Canada; and
  • a resident of the Northwest Territories and have lived in the Northwest Territories for at least three months in a row within the one year period before the application date.

You may also be eligible if you meet the above requirements, but:

  • are less than 19 years old; and
  • are a spouse, or have been a spouse.

 Contact Vital Statistics for more information.

How to apply for a legal change in name?

To avoid processing delays, please fax or email your completed Application for Change of Name form to the Registrar General, Vital Statistics at 1-867-777-3197 or as a draft for review.

You don’t have to legally change your name after getting married.


  • To ensure your application is successful, please see the information on eligibility and fees.



Change of Name (includes one large certificate) $134.00
Each additional individual included on an adult application $54.00
Change of Name Certificate (duplicate) $27.00
Use of Common-Law Spouse’s Last Name Statutory Declaration (certified copy) $22.00
Breakdown of Spousal Relationship Statutory Declaration (certified copy) $22.00

Applications must be accompanied with the required fee in the form of a cheque or money order payable to the Government of the Northwest Territories. Payment may also be made by credit card. The fee includes one change of name certificate.

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)


Hours: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Registrar General of Vital Statistics
Health Services Administration Office
Bag #9
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0

Related Services / Information