You can apply for a legal change of name for your child if you are:
- at least 19 years old;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or otherwise legally entitled to remain or live in Canada;
- a resident of the Northwest Territories and have lived in the Northwest Territories for at least three months in a row within the one year period before application date; and
- have lawful custody of the child.
Contact Vital Statistics for more information.
How to apply for a legal change in name for your child?
- Complete and submit the following:
To avoid processing delays, please fax or email your completed Application for Change of Name form to the Registrar General, Vital Statistics at 1-867-777-3197 or email@example.com as a draft for review.
- The consent of parent or legal guardian and the child.
- To ensure your application is successful, please see the information on eligibility and fees.
- Application for Change of Name
- Consent of Parent or Legal Guardian
- Consent of Child – 12 Years of Age or Over
|Change of Name (includes one large certificate)||$134.00|
|Each additional individual included on an adult application||$54.00|
|Change of Name Certificate (duplicate)||$27.00|
|Use of Common-Law Spouse’s Last Name Statutory Declaration (certified copy)||$22.00|
|Breakdown of Spousal Relationship Statutory Declaration (certified copy)||$22.00|
Applications must be accompanied with the required fee in the form of a cheque or money order payable to the Government of the Northwest Territories. Payment may also be made by credit card. The fee includes one change of name certificate.
Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Hours: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Sending the Completed Form…
Registrar General of Vital Statistics
Health Services Administration Office
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0