Changing a Name (Child)


You can apply for a legal change of name for your child if you are:

  • at least 19 years old;
  • a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or otherwise legally entitled to remain or live in Canada;
  • a resident of the Northwest Territories and have lived in the Northwest Territories for at least three months in a row within the one year period before application date; and
  • have lawful custody of the child.

Contact Vital Statistics for more information.



Under the Change of Name Act, legal name changes are required to be published in the Gazette. However, the Registrar can choose not to publish a legal change of name in certain circumstances, including if:

  • the change of name is of a minor nature;
  • the person has been commonly known under the name applied for; or
  • the publication or provision of notice would cause undue hardship.

Residents may reach out to the Registrar General of Vital Statistics at 1-800-661-0830 (toll free) or to request an exemption under one or more of these criteria once they’ve submitted their application or in the email with their completed application form.


How to apply for a legal change in name for your child?

To avoid processing delays, please fax or email your completed Application for Change of Name form to the Registrar General, Vital Statistics at 1-867-777-3197 or as a draft for review.


  • The consent of parent or legal guardian and the child.
  • To ensure your application is successful, please see the information on eligibility and fees.



Change of Name (includes one large certificate) $134.00
Each additional individual included on an adult application $54.00
Change of Name Certificate (duplicate) $27.00
Use of Common-Law Spouse’s Last Name Statutory Declaration (certified copy) $22.00
Breakdown of Spousal Relationship Statutory Declaration (certified copy) $22.00

Applications must be accompanied with the required fee in the form of a cheque or money order payable to the Government of the Northwest Territories. Payment may also be made by credit card. The fee includes one change of name certificate.

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)


Hours: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Registrar General of Vital Statistics
Health Services Administration Office
Bag #9
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0

Related Services / Information