Applying for health care for my newborn child

Who can apply for my newborn child’s NWT health care coverage?

  • Either parent of the newborn child, if the child is a resident of the Northwest Territories (NWT)
  • Parent must be lawfully entitled to be or remain in Canada, and
  • They make their home in and are ordinarily present in the NWT. Ordinarily present means you are physically present in the NWT at least 153 days during each calendar year.

How to apply for my newborn child’s NWT health care coverage?

Complete and submit the NWT Application for Health Care – Newborn form:

A health care card is required to receive health care benefits.


  • Parent(s) must have valid NWT health care card.
  • A copy of your newborn child’s birth certificate.
  • The name of the child must be what appears on his or her birth certificate.
  • Attach a photocopy of proof of adoption (if applicable).


  • NWT Application for Health Care – Newborn form
    • eServices Portal
    • PDF
      Available at hospitals, health clinics, health centres and the Health Services Administration Office.


  • There is no fee to apply for NWT health care.

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Health Services Administration

Department of Health and Social Services

Bag #9

Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0

Fax to: 1-867-777-3197

Email to:

Related Services / Information