When do you need to renew your Health Care Card?
- You will need to renew your health care card every three years.
- Your health care card will expire on your birthdate.
- Check the bottom right-hand corner of your health care card for the expiry date.
You are responsible for renewing your health care card. Renewal can be completed four months in advance of the expiry date. The NWT Health Care Card Renewal Form may be accepted earlier if you have a Temporary Absence Form on file with the Health Services Administration office.
How to renew your Health Care Card?
Complete and submit the NWT Health Care Card Renewal Form.
If your card has expired by more than one year, you will be asked to submit a new Application for Health Care and include proof that you live in the NWT.
A health care card is required to receive health care benefits.
- You must already have a valid NWT Health Care Card
- If you hold a work or student permit, you must include with your renewal form, a copy of your updated documentation from Immigration Canada.
- NWT Health Care Card Renewal Form
Available at hospitals, health clinics, health centres and the Health Services Administration Office.
Did you lose or damage your NWT health care card?
If you lose or damage your NWT Health Care Card, please contact the Health Services Administration Office and request a new card immediately. You do not need to fill out a form. Once your identity is verified, the Health Services Administration Office will send you a new card in the mail.
- There is no fee.
Contact this Service
Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Hours: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Sending the Completed Form…
Health Services Administration
Department of Health and Social Services
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0
Fax to: 1-867-777-3197
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org