Submitting an insured health expense claim for reimbursement

Who can submit an insured health expense claim for reimbursement?

  • To submit a claim for yourself or a family member, you must have or have had a valid NWT health care card when you received insured health services outside of the NWT.

Please Note: Your NWT Health Care Card only covers you for medically necessary services provided by a doctor or hospital. It does not cover all expenses such as ambulances or medevacs. It is recommended that you get travel insurance when you travel.

How to submit an insured health expense claim for reimbursement?

  • Complete and submit the NWT Out-of-Territory/Country Claim Submission.
  • Include a statement of the complete breakdown of all charges along with all receipts (keep a copy for your records as these will not be returned to you).

Do not submit receipts for prescription drugs as they are not an insured NWT service.

Failure to provide all necessary information/receipts may result in a delay of payment.


  • A valid NWT Health Care Card
  • Claim must be submitted within 12 months from the date of service.
  • Service received must be an insured health service.

Please note: Out of province / country claims will only be paid at NWT rates for medically necessary services.



  • There is no fee.

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Hours: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Health Services Administration

Department of Health and Social Services

Bag #9

Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0

Fax to: 1-867-777-3197

Email to:

Related Services / Information