NWT Health Care Plan

Applying for Health Care

Who can apply for NWT health care coverage?

  • A permanent resident of the Northwest Territories (NWT)
  • Military families can apply as soon as they enter the NWT.

Note: 90-day wait period for military families to receive their NWT health care card has been waived so that they can access NWT health care coverage on entry.


Residents of the NWT are eligible for health care if:

  • They are lawfully entitled to be or remain in Canada, and
  • They make their home in and are ordinarily present in the NWT. Ordinarily present means you are physically present in the NWT at least 153 days during each calendar year.

How to apply for NWT health care coverage?

Complete and submit the NWT Application for Health Care form:

Note: If applicable, please provide relevant documentation indicating you are First Nations, Inuvialuit, Inuit, or Métis.

A health care card is required to receive health care benefits.


Legal right to be in Canada:

  1. For Canadian Citizens:

    • A copy of your birth certificate from a Canadian province or territory;
    • A copy of your valid Canadian Passport or Canadian Citizenship Certificate; or
    • A copy of your status card issued by Indigenous Services Canada.
  2. For Permanent Residents/Landed Immigrants:
    • A copy of your Permanent Resident Card (front and back).
  3. For Foreign Nationals:
    • A copy of your Study Permit (confirmation of school enrollment is required); or
    • A copy of your Work Permit or other document issued by Immigration Canada.


  1. Two valid documents that show your name and current NWT home address from the list provided on the application checklist number 3. In addition to documents listed on the checklist, other documents issued by Government would be considered, including but not limited to, Child Tax Benefit Statement, Employment Insurance Benefit Statement, Canada Pension Plan Statement (please black out personal income information) or Insurance policies (home, auto etc).

​​​​​Note: Your name on the supporting document must match the name on the application.

Note:  If you have moved to the NWT and intend to live here for more than a year but cannot get two documents from the lists, contact the Health Services Administration Office.


  • NWT Application for Health Care form 
    • eServices Portal
    • PDF
      Available at hospitals, health clinics, health centres and the Health Services Administration Office.

Did you lose or damage your NWT health care card?

If you lose or damage your NWT Health Care Card, please contact the Health Services Administration Office and request a new card immediately. You do not need to fill out a form. Once your identity is verified, the Health Services Administration Office will send you a new card in the mail.


  • There is no fee to apply for NWT health care.

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Email: healthcarecard@gov.nt.ca
Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Health Services Administration

Department of Health and Social Services

Bag #9

Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0

Fax to: 1-867-777-3197

Email to: healthcarecard@gov.nt.ca

Related Services / Information