National Nutrition Month
March is Nutrition Month. The month is celebrated throughout Canada to draw attention to the importance of making informed food choices and developing healthy eating habits.
The Nutrition Month 2020 campaign is dedicated to helping Canadians Unlock the Potential of Food to improve health, fuel activities, and bring people together.
Food is nourishment, but it’s so much more. Food unites us at the kitchen table and is the center of celebrations. Food can improve health, prevent disease and keep us well for longer.
Who can I talk to about Healthy Eating?
- Community Members – they have knowledge about hunting, food gathering practices and preparation of traditional foods.
- Your community’s registered dietitian – they have information on nutrition and healthy eating.
- Community Health Representatives – they can find out more information for you, and connect you with a Registered Dietitian.
- The NWT Northern Nutrition Association can provide information about nutrition and healthy eating. You can reach them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Territorial Nutritionist, Department of Health and Social Services, can assist in identifying resources and people to talk to. Email email@example.com or call 867-767-9064 ext. 49232.
- The Government of Canada provides information on nutrition and eating.
What is happening in my community?
Many communities across the NWT plan events to recognize National Nutrition Month or National Dietitians Day, March 18, 2020. To find out more about any upcoming 2020 events happening, talk to your community dietitian, regional nutritionist or Community Health Representative.
Want more information?
For more information on food and nutrition, please click on the following links.