Marriage Information


Marriage Certificate

A marriage certificate is required to: 

  • prove your marriage is legal
  • ensure that the rights of spouses and children are respected
  • apply for certain social benefits
  • settle an estate.

Who may request a marriage certificate?

  • an individual recorded as a party on a marriage registration
  • legal representative of either of the parties
  • the parents or guardian of a person who was under 18 years of age at the time of marriage
  • children of the marriage to prove parentage, age, or birthplace of parents, for legal purposes
  • an agent, or any other person, on the written authorization of either of the parties
  • a person who requires the certificate for use in a court of law, for adoption, or for settlement of an estate
  • an officer of the Crown, for official purposes
  • government departments approved by the Director of Vital Statistics, when required for legal or other legitimate purposes.

How to order a marriage certificate?

  • Complete an Application for Marriage Certificate form, providing all relevant information with respect to the application.
  • Pay by cheque or money order (payable to Government of the NWT).  Note: Wallet and paper (framing) size certificates are $22.00 for each certificate.
  • If a Restricted photocopy is required, there is a $33.00 charge per certificate.  Note: A reason for requesting a Restricted Photocopy must be provided, and it will only be released at the discretion of the Registrar General of Vital Statistics.
  • Apply at the Health Services Administration, in person, by mail or by fax (if paying by credit card only).