Every marriage in the Northwest Territories must be registered with the Registrar General of Vital Statistics. Registration is necessary to establish the legality of the marriage. Without registration, you cannot obtain a marriage certificate.
Who can register a marriage?
Registrar General of Vital Statistics registers all marriages that occur in the Northwest Territories.
Process for registering a marriage
Each of the parties to the marriage as well as the witnesses:
- completes and signs the sections within the Marriage Registration Statement that they are responsible for.
The Officiating Cleric / Marriage Commissioner :
- completes the Marriage Registration Statement and sends it to the Registrar General of Vital Statistics.
The Registrar General of Vital Statistics:
- registers the marriage after verifying that the information is correct; and
- permanently files the Marriage Registration Statement.
Every marriage that occurs in the NWT must be registered with the Government of the Northwest Territories in order to establish the legality of the marriage.
- Marriage Registration Statement
Can be obtained from the Registrar General of Vital Statistics, Health Services Administration Office.
- There is no fee to register a marriage within one year from the date of marriage.
- $22 for registering a marriage after one year from the date of marriage.
Contact this Service
Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Hours: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Sending the Completed Form…
Registrar General of Vital Statistics
Health Services Administration Office
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0