The NWT Health Care Plan covers the cost of medically necessary hospital services, provided at a hospital, on an inpatient or outpatient basis within Canada.
You must be registered under the NWT Health Care Plan to receive these services.
- accommodation and meals at the standard ward care
- nursing services, when provided by the hospital
- laboratory, X-ray and diagnostic procedures, and interpretation
- drugs prescribed by a physician and administered in the hospital
- use of the operating room, case room, and anaesthetic facilities required for diagnosis and treatment, including necessary equipment and supplies
- radiotherapy treatment, occupational therapy, and physiotherapy when provided by an insured facility
- detoxification services in an approved health facility
Other limitations and restrictions may apply.
Services Not Covered
- hospital charges above the standard ward rate for private or semi-private accommodation
- services that are not medically required, such as cosmetic surgery
- services that are considered experimental
- ambulance charges (except inter-hospital transfers)
- dental services, other than specific procedures related to jaw injury or disease
- alcohol and drug rehabilitation, unless prior approved
If you are not sure what is covered, or need more information, please contact Health Services Administration.