Applying for Extended Health Benefits

Who can apply for Extended Health Benefits (EHB)?

  • Hold a valid NWT Health Care Card.
  • Not be eligible for benefits under the Métis Health Benefits Policy or Non-Insured Health Benefits Program.
  • Have either filed an income tax return for the previous year or completed section 4: Alternate Proof of Income

Applicants must re-apply prior to each benefit year. Benefit year is from September 1st to August 31st.


How to apply for EHB?

Complete and submit the Extended Health Benefits Application form:

  • email to;
  • fax to 1-867-777-3197; or
  • mail to:

    Health Services Administration Office
    Health and Social Services
    Bag #9
    Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0

Please Note: If you have access to benefits under an employer or similar plan, and choose not to use them, you will not be eligible for assistance under the EHB Program.



  • A valid Health Care Card
  • If applicable, previous year's Registered Disability Savings Plan (from line 12500)
  • Copies of Canada Revenue Agency’s Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment for both you and your spouse (if applicable).

Note: If you haven’t filed a Canadian tax return for the previous year, or your income has changed since filing your tax return, please complete Section 4 – Alternate Proof of Income Form.




  • There is no application fee.

Contact this Service

Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Sending the Completed Form…

Health Services Administration
Department of Health and Social Services
Bag #9
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0
Fax to: 1-867-777-3197
Email to:

Related Services / Information