Changing Your Sex Designation

If you were born in the NWT, you no longer need to have gender reassignment surgery to change your sex designation on your birth registration and birth certificate.


To be eligible for changing your sex designation on your NWT birth certificate, your birth must be registered in the NWT.


Change in Sex Designation Amendment


Application for Certificate of Birth/ Marriage / Death


How to Apply for a Change in Sex Designation

The process for changing your sex designation depends on your age.

If you are 19 years of age or older

If you are under 19 years of age

If you are 16 to 18 years of age and are living independently from your parents

Related Information

A change in sex designation does not result in a legal change of name. For more information on legally changing your name, see:

If you wish to notify your NWT Health Care Plan about your change of sex designation, complete and send the following form to the Health Services Administration Office:

If you also wish to change your gender marker in other identity documents, you will need to contact those agencies yourself:

Please be aware that these agencies may not accept gender X or a single name. The Department of Health and Social Services does not have authority over other organizations as each will have their own requirements to access programs and services they offer.


For additional questions on changing your sex designation, see: