Who can apply for Métis Health Benefits?
In order to qualify for this program, you must:
- Be a permanent resident of the Northwest Territories (NWT)
- Have a valid NWT Health Care Card
- Indicate self-identification as Métis
- Declare you are not registered under the Indian Act (commonly referred to as ‘status Indian’) or an Inuk recognized by an Inuit land claim organization
- Provide a letter from one of the Indigenous governments or Indigenous organizations listed below confirming they are a member of one of the following Indigenous government or Indigenous organization whose members hold or asserts to hold Aboriginal rights in the Northwest Territories as affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982:
- Dehcho First Nations as the regional government representing the Fort Providence Métis Council and Fort Simpson Métis Local #52
- Gwich’in Tribal Council
- Northwest Territory Métis Nation as the regional government representing the Fort Resolution Métis Government, Fort Smith Métis Council and Hay River Métis Government Council
- North Slave Métis Alliance
- Sahtú Secretariat Incorporated
- Tłıc̨hǫ Government
How to apply for the Métis Health Benefits Program?
- Complete and submit the Métis Health Benefits Program Application.
Please Note: If you have access to benefits under an employer or similar plan, and choose not to use them, you will not be eligible for assistance under the Métis Health Benefits Program.
A health care card is required to receive health care benefits.
- A valid NWT Health Care Card
- Métis Health Benefits Program Application
Available at hospitals, health clinics, health centres and the Health Services Administration Office.
- There is no fee.
Contact this Service
Phone: 1-800-661-0830 (toll free)
Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Sending the Completed Form…
Health Services Administration
Department of Health and Social Services
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0
Fax to: 1-867-777-3197
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org