Food Safety Training
The goal of the Food Safety training Program is to reduce the numbers of foodborne illnesses in NWT by training food handlers to handle food safely and reduce the risk of a food borne disease outbreak. Certified trained food handlers are required by this legislation in every food premise on every shift Environmental Health Officers teach the NWT food safety course to food handlers.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all in-person HSS NWT food safety courses have been suspended until further notice.
Other food safety training programs in Canada include:
- Canadian Food Safety Group
- Canadian Institute of Food Safety
- FOODSAFE Level 1
- National Food Safety Training Program
- ProbeIt Online Food Safety Program
- ServSafe Canada Online Food Safety Program
- Food Handler's Certificate - Train Food Safety.ca
To learn safety tips for all food types as well as food allergies and recalls, visit the Government of Canada website: